Friday, April 27, 2007

My own reading mixtape


The past few years my reading habits have swung on a drastic pendulum between borderline obsessiveness and willing ignorance. While in Seminary I read like a mofo and I liked it. I read for work and in my spare time I read for fun. There was a lot of reading going on! Then . . . I decided I didn't want to read anymore, I wanted to "live." I felt that I had been primarily living cereberally instead of existentially and there was some truth to my critique. So, I stopped for awhile. Eventually I began reading again, but nothing overtly theological as before - instead a gigantic biography of Bob Dylan, the autobiography of Johnny Cash, and The Wilco Book. This past fall I had the desire to read more theological material again for the first time. Perhaps it was no coincidence that many of the books I was now reading on Eastern Orthodox spirituality placed an emphasis on the human person and "incarnational living" (which I admittedly do a poor job of). At any rate, the last few weeks I have been re-reading Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I've enjoyed the book a lot more the second time around partially because I'm a little older, have a better translation this time, and now am Orthodox myself, which gives me a better context for many of the characters actions in Orthodox Russia. The author places this quote in the mouth of one of his characters, Elder Zossima:

"There is only one salvation for you: take yourself up, and make yourself responsible for all the sins of men. For indeed it is so, my friend, and the moment you make yourself sincerely responsible for everything and everyone, you will see at once that it is really so, that it is you who are guilty on behalf of all and for all. Whereas by shifting your own laziness and powerlessness onto others, you will end by sharing in Satan's pride and murmuring against God. I think thus of Satan's pride: it is difficult for us on earth to comprehend it, and therefore, how easy it is to fall into error and partake of it, thinking, moreover, that we are doing something great and beautiful."

My int ital reaction to this quote is one of affirmation; I feel edified and encouraged. It doesn't take long though, before I begin to reconsider. How is this possible? It is at the very least a challenge to my own individualistic sense of accomplishment. I don't believe what Dostoevsky is trying to say here is that there isn't any difference between a regular ol' sinful Joe like myself and a mass murderer, because I think there is. I'm pretty sure there's a difference between myself and Mother Theresa as well. However, saying as much is not mutually exclusive with what I believe his main point to be here: that the first step toward God is humbling myself before Him. It is only when I can call myself along with the Apostle Paul -- "the worst of sinners," the sort of sinner who takes some responsibility in all sin, no matter how grievous -- that I receive Love and can properly love my fellow man.

8 comments:

Charles said...

We've sort of discussed this before, but how would you describe this spectrum with mass-murderer-Joe and Mother Theresa on either side of you? It seems you're saying that lines exist, but what really is the distance between the three of you? Just wondering what you'd say . . . .

J.B. said...

Biby Cletus -- thanks for the kind words. Being a movie buff myself, I'll be giving you a visit as well.

J.B. said...

Chuck -- good clarifying question. The difference is my actions. Sin is sin, but I maintain that there is a distinction between physically committing murder against another and having vile thoughts about them in my heart. Not trying to justify them by any stretch -- I harbor a mass murderer in my heart -- I acknowledge that and it ain't pretty. But it also says something about the state of my heart and its alignment to God (or lack thereof) by my actions -- whether they took place at Virginia Tech or Calcutta. So, to answer your question, there is a similarity between myself and the mass-murderer (the existence of a fallen sin nature) and a difference (my actions, which spring from the heart, are different). As for how different we all are or where we fall in a proverbial spectrum, it is not my place to decide that or speculate upon it. Thoughts?

Chartreuse Menagerie said...

I'm with you on this one, JB. The past few months I've been starting to dig out of the whole truckload of BS that's been piled on me the last thirty years that said I'm basically a good person and the point of being a Christian is to help me realize how good of a person I am. How unbiblical is that?! This whole notion of esteeming myself has been such a wicked self-centered agenda I've bought into and I think it's about as wicked as I can get. Lately, though, I've been realizing just how evil I am, as a member of this fallen world, and, by recognizing that, how much more that makes the miracle of Jesus shine. Like you said, only once you humble yourself, align yourself with God rather than some sort of self-actualization zenith, is there truly a chance to let God's love shine through you.

J.B. said...

Chartreuse - Have you spotted Frankie's booties yet?

Katie said...

Because of a few NT passages that come to mind, I don't know if I can totally agree with you about how you gauge the difference between you and a murderer, but I do like your _Brothers_ quote. I immediately thought it to be a good White person's response to centuries of oppression, rape, etc. of non-White races and cultures. I think it lines up pretty well, so thanks!

J.B. said...

Hey Katie B., thanks for chirping in from Philly and I'm glad you like the quote. You also seem to be in at least partial disagreement with what I'm saying. You mentioned a few verses -- I have an idea of which ones you might be thinking of -- but rather than assume, which ones do you have in mind?

Katie said...

Oh, dag, sorry this is a little late! I think I was thinking of those Matthew 5 verses about looking at a woman lustfully... but it looks like you've explained more to your friend Chuck that clarifies your position. And I'm not sure if those verses I was thinking of are even terribly applicable, nor am I even sure about their significance altogether (?). Those are my brief, neutral, and most likely incoherent thoughts- adieu