Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wilco

I haven't had much time for blogging recently, so I'm going to put up some video of one of my fave bands playing a tune from their new record Sky Blue Sky which . . . I don't like very much as a whole. If nothing else, I'm not a big fan of the latest incarnation of Tweedy's style. I've already blogged about his 'grotesque beard' phase, so I'm not even going to touch this one.

Speaking of new records, the latest hipster trend that I've been following has been to begin playing vinyl. I've collected records for awhile, but more for nostalgia than for the audio benefit that it can offer. Inspired by a good friend who sent me two early U2 45s from the UK, I got a new belt put on my Dad's old record player and away I went. Sky Blue Sky is the first new record that I bought on vinyl. So, there you have it.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice video... interesting sound.

Charles said...

How do the LP's sound?

J.B. said...

They sound really good. Digital music is certainly clearer, but it also seems to be 'flatter' if that makes any sense. With vinyl you get more of an earthy, full sound and texture that fills up the room, especially during the dynamic points of a song.

I recently acquired some of my Grandpa's old vinyl collection and with it some of the 50s and 60s era folk songs that we used to listen to on the alarm clock in my dorm room. Ahh the memories.

Charles said...

AM 1240, baby.

Paul said...

I haven't heard anything good about the new album, but I really like this song.

J.B. said...

Yeah Paul, as a Wilco fan there are some tracks that I like, but not one of their better efforts overall. Pitchfork referred to it as "Dad rock." My roomate walked in while the record was playing and said in jest, "I didn't know that you had got into Steely Dan." He certainly didn't intend this as a compliment.

katherine said...

j.b. -

saw your comment on my blog. i've been absent for a bit. check my blog and you'll see why. more to come on my search for home.

thanks for the thoughts. i also have a question: what, in your opinion, is the greatest wilco album?

Chartreuse Menagerie said...

Hey, stud. You're header quote by Chesterton reminded me of a Rich Mullins (whose favorite book was Orthodoxy) tune called "Growing Young" you might enjoy reading. Easy to read Chesterton's influence in it.

http://www.kidbrothers.net/wabairi2.html#gy