Friday, October 19, 2007

The bus ride

The other day after work I was waiting for my bus, the 26. It was late which isn't that unsual and when it did arrive I hopped on. As usual, we wove around downtown Seattle before heading to Fremont. About halfway to Fremont I began to read a book that I bring with me to pass the time. The Fremont stop is usually the largest and this day was no different -- about half of the passengers exited the bus in the self-proclaimned center of the universe. My own stop in Wallingford is about 10 minutes after Fremont, so I went back to reading my book. After a few minutes I glanced up to see if we were getting close to my stop and much to my surprise I did not recognize my surroundings. I'm new to this particular bus route and so I'm not too alarmed at this point. It's perfectly feasible that I'm not very familiar with the surroundings on my new route, especially at night, right? Wrong. I definetly was in an area of Seattle that I did not recognize. I was now faced with the unpleasant task of walking to the front of the bus to confess my ineptitude to the bus driver. In the silent bus I made my way forward after everyone who was stopping had cleared out. Amidst the silence on the bus was the tangible anticpation of the expetant passengers waiting for the driver to resume their journey. I cut through the silence with my bold and ignorant question, "This isn't the 26, is it?" The driver had a somewhat perplexed and amused expression on his face when he told me that no, I was on the 28. He told me to exit here and then wait for the 28 headed back to Fremont on the other side of the street. Like a big boy, I looked both ways before crossing but I was a little scared since I didn't have anyone's hand to hold. How could this happen? Most distressing was that I didn't even recognize where I was. Deep down though I think I know the reason that I was in such an unfortunate position. I was distracted reading my book, The Idiot.

17 comments:

Charles said...

I think it's the attention you're paying to your man-bag that's distracting you.

Katie said...

Progressive clap, my friend. Progressive clap.

And what's this? You have a man-bag? I mean, a European carry-on?

J.B. said...

Katie, thank-you for recognizing the true purpose of acquiring my man-bag was in fact to be an European carry-on. Even so I can admit that it is a distracting carry-on.

Katie said...

Well, it's always so hard to find things in them... maybe now you can see why women are the stereotypically more cluttered and complicated gender.

Oh, and did you know that the word "Идиот" means both "idiot" and "he goes"? I'm pretty sure. Even more ironic, combined w/ your bus-riding!

Jacob B. said...

That was a funny story.

Horray for the man bag! I have been reduced to just calling mine a purse. And even at times caught not wearing it across my chest, but on the run, draping daintily over my right shoulder.

Sarah said...

Funny story, J.B! Maybe I should force a man-bag upon Charles for Christmas.

J.B. said...

Jacob, I may be soon following your lead. Chuck can't be far behind? I think he puts up a stoic front Sarah, but deep down he longs for a man bag too.

Charles said...

I have indeed flirted with man bags (is the pl. men bags?). My current hermit-like lifestyle does not require one though. Additionally, I refuse to succumb to the vacuous black-hole that is a purse. Come up with something that has all the right compartments and I may go for it. J.B., why don't you blog about your man bag?

Liv said...

Uh, Charles, you just described the need of a "fanny-pack". However, I would urge you not to trapse around Birmingham announcing that you are wearing one as the translation of "fanny" from english to English is a naughty, naughty word.

Charles said...

Olivia, I was certainly NOT referring to the English "bum-bag." Frankly, I am slightly offended that you would even think I would think of wearing one (I think). I really just need something that facilitates a little more organization than the average man-bag. My b-day is coming up, so perhaps you and J.B. should . . . .

BTW, did I ever tell you the story of how J.B. and I first met? It was a warm August afternoon in Redding, CA inside beautiful Thompson-Mangham. Upon discovering we were to be roommates, J.B. lifted his shirt ever so slightly to reveal a genuine American "fanny-pack" made of black "pleather." He unzipped what he described as a "secret zipper/compartment" (I think he actually said "slash"), pulled out a business card with his name and email on it, and said "I made these myself."

Liv said...

All I can say is "wow". He had a patent leather fanny pack AND a business card. I mean, that's nerdy.

Oh, and I think i can speak on behalf of my husband when I say that, Charles, you will most certainly be getting a present matching the specifications listed above...oh, for joy.

J.B. said...

For the record, I would like to clarify that the material in question was genuine leather, not "pleather." I would also like to offically announce that future blogs will focus on the discussion all things man-bag (plural men-bags).

Sarah said...

Yesterday I spied the most incredible man-bag ensemble. A guy wearing a wife beater with a fitted white T over it. Across his shoulders was, what looked to me like a glorified passport holder which was indeed plaid. We were sitting near this guy and his tough looking friends in the back row posy section of a lecture.

Sarah said...

Oops. I meant possy.

Charles said...

If the bum-bag is an insult to the wallet, then this guy's plaid purse was an insult to the man-bag. I considered talking to him about it, but his cronies may have held me down so he could slap me with it. If only I would've had a business card with my name and email on it . . . .

(I made this comment whilst listening to Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" which made it all that much sillier)

J.B. said...

I would like to further clarify that Chuck is a liar.

Charles said...

I thought your initial response to the tall-tale was quite mature, J.B., but I see that you've broken down and fealt the need to expose me.

It's true: there was never any black, pleather fanny-pack with business cards. And J.B. has always been cooler than I for some reason.