Monday, November 19, 2007

Vinyl or bust

In recent months I have become increasingly infatuated with the world of vinyl music. It's sort of a cross-breed between music appreciation and baseball card collecting. When considering the purchase of a used record the quality and condition is most important (to me), but the real fanatics/obsessives also consider the pressing of the record (i.e. the first pressing is the oldest, usually the rarest and thus most valuable). This article does a great job of articulating the perspective of the vinyl music fan and its re-emergence as a medium in the market.

Listening to vinyl has been a revelation to my ears: the warmth and subtlety of sound makes each record an experience to enjoy. Now as I listen to my Cd's -- while they certainly sound crystal clear -- in comparison to my records they sound synthetic and cold. A debate rages among audiophiles as to which medium, the CD or vinyl, is superior. Read these guys weigh-in on the debate. While I consider myself an audiophile, half the time I'm really not sure what they're talking about.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

How do you feel about scratching?

Liv said...

Oh my Word! Sarah, you just gave me the most satisfying visual of my husband DJing in our little living room! Ear phones on, head bobbing, strobe lights pulsating...I'll stop now. Every new record he gets he asks me "Doesn't this sound sooooo much better." And I, the dutiful wife (tee hee), must always reply, "Yes, dear."

J.B. said...

As inspiring as the big guy's character is in the BBC's version of The Office, I doubt I will be making a foray into the world of dub/techno.

Liv said...

booooooooo!

Charles said...

Maybe you should open a disotheque - The Boom-Boom Room? The Beast's Beat Box? Or simply, St. Varsanuphius'?