Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Keep your eyes peeled

This past Saturday was a typical gray, spring Seattle day; Olivia had a baby shower to go to and so I had some free time on my hands. After working exclusively from home the last two weeks (normally I work from the office twice a week), I knew that I needed to get out of the house. So, I did a few chores around the house and then headed out on the town. I got some coffee, went to a few record stores and looked around. While driving between my stops I listened to the Mariners game on the radio.

I don't know if I had the "blahs" or what, but between the gray day outside and another Mariners defeat, I found myself sitting in my car in the Golden Oldies parking lot, listening to AM radio and vacantly looking outside at the world around me. At this point, I happened to look out across 45th and catch the sight of what appeared to be a squadron of Stormtroopers.

Now, of all the sights that I might have expected or even anticipated to see on this day, Stormtroopers would be pretty low on my list. For a fraction of a second, my mind snapped out of its doldrums and raced with various questions. Is there a movie being shot? Did I somehow happen into an alternate dimension? Are we under attack? Has it been discovered that I am indeed a Jedi? My dreams vanished fairly quickly when it dawned on me that the Stormtroopers were assembled outside of a Comic book store, waving as the many passersby honked at the spectacle.

Someone in movies once said that life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I would have to agree with him. Keep your eyes peeled.

8 comments:

Paul said...

you will always be a jedi to me...

in fact "J.edi B.oy" it is,

polymer artichoke

Charles said...

It wasn't AM 1230 was it?

J.B. said...

No, it was the M's post game show.

Polymer, I'm just glad you didn't refer to me as Jar (Jar) Binks.

Anonymous said...

A kid I know was at that comic book thing and was honestly encouraging me to attend the next one. I told him I couldn't because my light saber was broken. He was discouraged.

-- ac

Jeff Yoder said...

JB,
I'm new the this blogger world. It was good to read your comment on Josh's blog. It really made me think... It made me think, I'm realy stupid.
Sorry 'bout never responding to your e-mail years ago. I think it was on the topic of the elect/calvin stuff.
I'm now at a crazy old liturgical presbyterian church. Instead of a Contemporary Service we go for the Medieval Service. From mennonite, to baptist, to crazy charasmatic, to not so charasmatic, and now presbyterian...soon I'll be Roman Catholic.

I would say it's good to see you, but I haven't so I will say,"It's good to read you."

Peace.

Jeff Yoder said...

My apologies for leaving your sappy heart all out there without responding.

I think, in total, we've actually hung out only maybe 4 times, and two were in Minneapolis.

And yet, it seems like we're old war buddies that have had some unspoken/unlived history that lasted for years upon years. I like that.

I checked out your picasa page. Very nice... congratulations, great pics of Paris, love the architecture...a little jealous.

In closing, (If you need an "in closing at the end of a comment, that said comment is too damn long)Starbucks...Minneapolis...WTF!!!

Jeff.

Shelley said...

It's still a good story. I wish my world consisted of surreal breaks into unknown dimensions. Oh wait, I think that might just describe my entire existence...I'm really glad you wrote about this.

Shannon said...

JB..........Nice to see you on here!