Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eno vs. Eno

After Lucie was born last year, we were given a CD of ocean sounds/ambient-ish music by my parents to help Lucie sleep. Parts of it reminded me of what I imagined Brian Eno's ambient music would sound like.

Since whenever Lucie was sleeping, I wanted to keep it quiet in the house and I was usually tired and/or sleep deprived, mellow and relaxing music was in demand. Eno's music seemed like something we could both "enjoy" or at least appreciate on some level. I bought Discreet Music on vinyl and was fascinated as much by Eno's description of the process by which he recorded it and the events that had led to its creation as much as the music itself, which is to say, I found it subtlety captivating. Over the next few months, I acquired all of his "ambient" albums and enjoyed them all. I think Lucie likes them, too.

Eno released new albums this past winter as well as earlier this summer and to help promote his record last year, he posted this spoof of an interview with a musical journalist (played by Eno himself). The interview consists of several astute observations by the journalist, "Dick Flash," a surprisingly wry sense of humor from Eno and a semi-philosophical discussion of Eno's music and the role of music in general, as seen in a more "humanist" perspective.

No comments: