Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My fifteen minutes


I commute to work daily by bus to downtown Seattle. The other day, as I pulled into the Lynnwood Park and Ride, I noticed a few people huddled around one of the hundreds of vehicles in the lot. I was intrigued by the scene, so after parking I decided to investigate. Once I got closer I noticed that it was a camera crew nosing around the cars, one of which had its back window partially bashed in. A woman (it turns out her name is Tracy Vedder) approached me and asked me if I would mind being asked a few questions on camera for a story about the safety of using the Park and Ride. It was pretty hilarious, as soon as the camera started rolling, she got really intense and posed the questions in a very serious and dramatic tone, "Did you know that police have recently posted signs stating they are going to be using 'bait cars' to help trap thieves? How do you feel about this? Do you feel safe leaving your car at the Park and Ride?" Pretty heavy stuff; I can't imagine that they would actually run the story and as far as I know, it never has. The camera man thought he was pretty funny too, asking me how to spell my name. It was eerily familiar to watching Bill Murray trade barbs with his camera man in Groundhog Day, the main difference being that I remained silent and never did say anything back to the cameraman.

7 comments:

Charles said...

I thought this was going somewhere towards eddie vedder, but a good story nonetheless.

Sarah said...

You're so famous, JB. That's funny.

Anonymous said...

if I were a cameraman you would be the secondmost famous person in the world!

J.B. said...

No Eddie Vedder, but 2-time NBA MVP Steve Nash walked past me yesterday while I was waiting for my bus after work.

Charles said...

I don't believe you. how do you know it was steve nash and not homeless person - athletic build, long unkempt hair?

Katie said...

I'm so proud of you for taking public trans, Waldo!

J.B. said...

Well, I can't be sure, but he looked exactly like him and in was a large group of really, really tall men (none of which had unkempt hair), one of whom was ex-NBA player Dan Marlje. They all walked into the fancy Waldorf hotel outside of my bus stop. And the Phoenix Suns were in town to play the Sonics last night.