Friday, March 16, 2007

12 Things I wish I knew as a convert

I'm not sure if 'Orthodox humor' is any funnier than the typical 'Christian humor,' but I stumbled across this recently and found it to be pretty amusing and insightful.

1. Take a Long Time.
2. Catechumens are Expected to Learn.
3. After your Baptism/Chrismation, Add Regular Confession and Communion to Rule #2.
4. The Grass is Never Greener; or, Never Know Too Many Priests.
5. Don’t be a weirdo.
6. Worry About Yourself.
7. You Aren’t a Monk, You Aren’t a Priest, Don’t Plan on Being One.
8. No One has Screwed Your Life up More Than You: Listen to Others First.
9. Don’t Play House.
10. Don’t Look Back; Don’t Look Back in Anger.
11. Don’t Write or Speak About Your Conversion Publicly.
12. Whether Cradle or Convert, We Must All Convert Everyday.

The entire post can be read
here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've always had such great taste for music, literature and film I can't wait to read up! I hear you have a 6 in. beard and can speak fluent Greek. Is this true?

J.B. said...

I trim the beard, but occasionally a straggler might grow a bit long. I don't know Greek, but I like to read books where I pretend I can. Good to hear from you bro, thanks for the comment.