Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Hollywood Weekend

A few weeks back I left the dreary, hipster-loving and cynical enclave I like to call Seattle to visit my brother Bryan in West Hollywood. For a weekend, I lived the "L.A. lifestyle." We spent quite a bit of time in a recording studio tracking for a song that is going to be pitched to Keith Urban, we went out to eat for every meal, I listened to a guy my brother works with/for talk about writing a song for Lionel Ritchie's next record (he referred to him as "Lionel"), we watched an all-white reggae band with a lead singer who took his shirt off to reveal a massive Star of David necklace at the Whiskey A Go Go, and bumped into B.J. Novak. You know, the usual.

My brother is one of those people who doesn't seem too concerned with living life by the unspoken "rules." He says he's going to do something semi-ridiculous (at least to a "realist" like me) and then he usually does it. By the end of the weekend I felt like saying, You know, at 29 you aren't supposed to be an Executive VP of a company (Neoganda -- he's explained to me what they do but I still don't get it) and have a loft in the Hollywood Hills facing the Hollywood sign. Maybe he makes a ton of money or is in debt up to his eyeballs. Probably both. Nevertheless, I find his inner-drive inspiring and I'm proud of him.

One morning my brother woke me up and pointed down to the valley below. From my vantage point on the floor next to his bed I could see a massive plume of smoke rising from the giant Universal Studios complex. With a smile my brother said, "there's a fire at Universal Studios." I don't know if it was that I wasn't fully awake or the way that my brother said it, but I dismissed the fire as a film shoot for a movie, rolled over and went back to sleep. My brother woke me up again an hour later and showed me the current front-page story at CNN.com of the fire, which apparently was not the result of a film shoot but an out of control fire that was engulfing Universal Studios. The picture on the front page looked like it could have been taken from my brother's deck. Weird.



Another fun part of the trip for me was visiting the virtual vinyl-wonderland of Amoeba Records. The place is massive and disorienting but also includes the largest collection of new vinyl records that I have ever seen. It gave me the opportunity to get started on my annual Top 08 of 08, which I had begun to fear would be incomplete as we are now almost half-way through the year and I had not yet found any new music that had struck my fancy enough for me to recommend it to others. That all changed at Amoeba Records as I purchased Bonnie "Prince" Billy's latest, Lie Down in the Light. Stay tuned at the end of the year for a review if you wish.

To wet your appetite, I will close with a video parodying Kanye West's song, "Can't Tell Me Nothing" in which Bonnie "Prince" Billy participated (he's the skinny guy in the video). If you are familiar with his music, it makes a funny video that much funnier.




11 comments:

Liv said...

The best part of this story is the fact that you saw BJ Novak!!! I love the new bonny prince billy record! Everyone should check it out. I can't even describe it...it's just a perfect soundtrack to a summer evening!

Charles said...

Wait, did you actually "bump into" B.J. or was it that you simply "saw" him? Bumping into him makes it sound like he's a personal acquaintance of your brother's.

J.B. said...

My apologies. I was not trying to insinuate that I am a friend of B.J's. I saw him at the airport actually. I believe he was doing stand-up in Seattle the weekend I was in L.A. This was purely a celebrity sighting. "Sorry to disappoint you."

J.B. said...

I will note that my brother is friends with Keith Green's daughter if that qualifies as celebrity. I can't really write that sentence without somehow imagining a sort of evangelical Christian reality show a la Big Brother. Who would participate? It goes without saying that Stephen Baldwin and Kirk Cameron would be there. I think I would ask John Schlitt from Petra. It would be great if somehow James Dobson or Pat Robertson could be convinced to be on the show. The Dobson/Robertson duo would need a foil though. I think just about anyone from the Emergent Movement would fit the bill, with the ideal being Brian McLaren. I can just imagine Dobson going postal on McLaren during some competition . . .

Charles said...

One competition should definitely be having Dobson search for McLaren's hidden chotki.

J.B. said...

Or there could be "pastor swap" instead of "wife swap." Hilarity ensues.

Charles said...

With your creativity and your brother's wiz-bang Hollywood connections you may be able to make something out of this. Where is CBN located?

Paul said...

so many things to comment on!!!
... (deep breath)
i just got out of my two week school, and my first interet check was met by this...
i have no seattle hipsterness left in me, or it is dormant at least, so I say without reserve, that video was hilarious!
isn't the bearded guy iron and wine?
BJ who?
having a perpetual school girl crush on keith green, his daughter definately qualifies as celerity to me.
an evangelical reality show should also include John Hagee and Jeremiah Wright, respective pastors of the presumtive (dare I say presumptuous as well?) presidential nominees.
oh clever word play and banter...

miss you guys

J.B. said...

Yes . . . let's bring this full circle. My brother's Hollywood connections could likely come in handy here. I'm glad you reminded me that this idea has the legs to go beyond blog-land.

Miss you too Paul. Glad you're home. I think the bearded guy is a comedian but not Iron and Wine.

Josh H. said...

loved your comment on worship. great.
twins swept the padres. good times.

Josh H. said...

you could have "christian" bigbrother with rob bell and john macarthur. bloodshed ensues. rob bell in confessional booth wishing "sexGod" would give him a hand and macarthur accusing him of not being "chosen enough"