Friday, September 26, 2008

The Enlargement of the Heart

A quick quote -- one that is simple yet at the same time very difficult:

By shame we extinguish shame. That is why the sacrament of confession is so powerful and so regenerating. We bear a little shame on earth for the sake of the Lord, and He gives us such grace, so as to be able to overcome our sins and receive healing for our brokenness. Therefore, becasue He Himself, in His way down, bore the "cross of shame", the more shame we bear the better, the more grace we shall receive for our healing and for a glorious salvation . . . And so it is unavoidable for us, too, to bear a little shame, if we wish to follow Him. He bore shame for our salvation, the cross of shame, and when we share that shame for His sake, according to His commandment, and in order to reconcile ourselves to Him, He considers that a response of gratitude, and He measures out His gifts to us.

-- Archmandrite Zacharias, The Enlargement of the Heart

I am a poor example of bearing shame on a number of levels. I am nonetheless inspired and energized by quotes (and more importantly the lives from which they spring forth) such as these, which call me not to question difficulty in life, but to give thanks for it. Glory to God for all things.

2 comments:

Charles said...

What has been your experience of the sacrament of confession? It seems that, among a few other things, could be a difficult adjustment coming from a tradition that looks differently upon it. Or has that not been the case?

J.B. said...

It has been an adjustment. Based on my previous tradition, confession and repentance might look like self-flagellation or false guilt. What good is it to feel like you are no good? Christ has delivered you by His grace and there's nothing you can do to earn salvation. I don't believe in "earning" salvation, but I do think that I am much more prideful than I take credit for. Being honest with myself and a priest gives me the opportunity for healing from my self-centerdness so that -- out of love for God -- I can do the "good works for which we are created" (Ephesisans, I can't remember the exact verse and I don't have time to look it up).

Being honest with myself and reframing the way I looked at myself in light of a loving God has been the main adjustment. Hope that makes sense.