Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Tell Tale Signs

For those who may or may not be interested, NPR is streaming Bob Dylan's new album, The Bootleg Series Vol. 8 - Tell Tale Signs: Rare and Unreleased 1989 - 2006, which will be released next Tuesday. As much as I like Dylan's trio of 60s albums Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde, I enjoy his most recent work even more. Included in Vol. 8 of the Bootleg Series are outtakes and alternate versions of songs from his most recent albums, Oh Mercy, Love and Theft, Time Out of Mind (my personal favorite), and Modern Times.

I've grown that mustache once before. You better believe I'm going to grow it back again.

5 comments:

J.B. said...

I fear this blog is turning into a silent and subconscious discussion of facial hair. Below, Donald Miller could be interpreted as covering his face in shame over his lack of hair. Archmandrite Zacharias hasn't shaved in decades. And Bob Dylan has got the Clark Gable thing going on.

Charles said...

Whilst Sarah was away for work a few weeks ago I grew a mustache. For a few days . . . I was refined. It felt good.

Anyway, it might be a trendy thing - I don't think it's that for me - but I too am enjoying Bob Dylan. I am presently catching up on his older material, but his new stuff really does it for me. I'm sorry for this, but I find that he goes well with a good cigar.

Anonymous said...

My dad has a mustache, and a mini-mullet, I might add. I hope this keeps things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

I will refrain from any facial hair comment except for the remembrance of the scruffy, unkempt look of the guy in the row behind us who kept screaming "Play Highway 61" about 10-15 minutes AFTER Mr. Zimmerman had played a virtually unrecognizable version of said song. Too funny.

J.B. said...

I think that it can hardly be considered trendy to enjoy listening to a man sing who sounds like he has been gargling paint thinner (this could serve as a warning if you choose to persist in your smoke-inhaling ways Chuck). Nevertheless, I find that his weary voice matches the lyrics and tone of his songs . . . kind've like an old blues singer or something.

This voice is not for everyone, as Jack remembers the concert we attended a few years back. That dude was either drunk or . . . yeah, he probably just didn't recognize the song. Whenever I put one of Dylan's recent records on, Olivia says that making her listen to it is like forcing me to watch a loop of Dancing with the Stars episodes.

Oh well, I'm still going to listen. Unless he grows a mini-mullet.