Monday, January 26, 2009

I am not a cyber rock

The internet provides a temptation: avoiding relationships with other people. Certainly correspondence via the internet can have its value, but there is no replacement for simply being in the presence of another human being.

Blogs afford me another opportunity: to claim my throne as self-appointed dictator of my own kingdom, in which I am the ultimate expert in any and all subjects. I can yield my words like blunt instruments, for I am an expert, after all. As the author of my blog or even in the enemy territory of another blog, I can instantaneously shoot from the hip, squashing the opposing argument like a miserable bug. In such a scenario, little thought needs to be made to the damage I am inflicting upon myself and the other person with whom I correspond. I become the monster that I am attempting denounce. I know, because I've done it myself many times.

In addition, I can easily misread the intentions of another and jump to conclusions without seeking clarifications, further escalating a potentially tense situation. I know, because I've done it many times.

You may be asking, "why are you blogging about how lousy blogging is?" Indeed the internet has many limitations and pitfalls. Of course, all dialogue and communication is faced with limitations. Blogs and the internet do afford us the opportunity to be in contact with those whom we otherwise might no be able to because of distance. We also may be able to discuss issues that wouldn't otherwise be addressed in regular day to day activity.

In short, the internet and blogs can, when put in the proper place, enhance life. It can also easily distract and insulate me from life as well; I neglect my family and those with whom I can share my life with on a daily basis, or Church and prayer fall by the wayside.

There is no substitute for sitting in the presence of another human being. Words aren't even necessary.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Well put J Beasley.

Josh H. said...

great post. i like your blog jb. keep up the good words.
btw, if you're ever down in san diego i'd love to hang out. catch up. talk about Jesus.

Charles said...

One of my blog struggles is that that a rant often comes with a slew of comments, all of which agree with the author. It's hard to have real dialogue some times. But I don't know how one goes about trying to avoid that.

J.B. said...

Part of the answer might be in avoiding the view that comments are the validation of a point/blog, which can be hard to do.

Of course, then I'm back to square one with no dialogue on my blog, at least overtly.

Perhaps a few well-meaning rants to stir the pot up isn't the end of the world. I am kidding.

PS -- Josh, I'll look you up if I'm down in SD. I may be this spring or summer.

Reed said...

Ah, yes, the technology of our time is certainly changing the social structure and the way we interact with each other... but how great is it that old friends can connect because of it!

I'm livin in Denver now, going to school to be a flight nurse on a helicopter. If you're ever in town, let me know! I'd love to catch up face to face... but other forms of communication will suffice. nygrenr(at)gmail(dot)com