Saturday, January 17, 2009

Top 10 of 08 (the remaining 5)

Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Lie Down in the Light
When listening to Lie Down in the Light, it is easy to imagine oneself in a hootenanny amongst several musicians on the front porch of a house, having a grand 'ol time during a humid August evening in Georgia. Come to think of it, this is the closing scene of The Jerk, sans the ridiculous looking white man dancing amongst a family of black folks. Will Oldham adds his frail voice to like-minded artists who have gone before him such as Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan, Jack White, U2 and Johnny Cash. Their art often seems to describe the feeling of being caught in the un-holy crossfire between the "sacred" and the "secular" and seemingly striving for the former. I've had to remind myself several time that some of the songs on this record are not from the hippy-dippy Enter the Worship Circle.


Lie Down In The Light - Bonnie "Prince" Billy

Calexico, Carried to Dust
After hearing the fabulous cover of "Goin' to Acupulco" by Calexico and Jim James in the film I'm Not There, I decided to pick up this record. Like a more distinct and less corporate Chevy's, Calexico bring a very unique brand of tex-mex to the world of rock n' roll. I'm guessing that several Calexico records have found their way into the collection of the members of Jars of Clay, as I was taken back by the similarities in sound between the groups, particularly the overlap between the styles of the lead vocalists.


Red Blooms - Calexico

Danielson, Trying Hartz
How lame is it to put a compilation album on your best of year-end list? Pretty. Still, the sounds and story of Danielson have grown on me considerably ever since viewing Danielson: A Family Movie last year. I'm happy to do what I can to spread the word for this band and apart from 2007's Ships, this is the best introduction to their work.


She & Him, Volume One
As nice as it may sound, I don't know if actress Zooey Deschanel's music has enough gusto to stand on its own. However, what about when combined with the talents of M Ward, who I consider to be one of the best singer-songwriters around today? Now I believe you have something. She & Him remind me somewhat of the relaxing and nostalgic sounds from the 50s and 60s that I used to tune into on KLXR AM 1230 with my alarm clock-radio in college.


Vampire Weekend, Vampire Weekend
It is rare when a band faces the chronological obstacles of: a hyped record prior to its release, backlash following the release and then general appreciation for the same record, all in the same year. That is my observation of Vampire Weekend in 2008. Comparisons to the solo work of Paul Simon, Peter Gabriel and David Byrne abound. I prefer to say that if you can write a song about an oxford comma and turn it into a pop masterpiece, you are a better man than I.

9 comments:

Paul said...

The tables have officially turned and you are now my source of good new music. Try not to let it go to your head.

J.B. said...

I take this confidence and responsiblity to the American people, er, you, seriously (sorry, I just watched the inauguration).

Katie said...

Which two albums made you exceed good old "top 08 of 08"?

J.B. said...

Apparently, the song "Undefined" by Eternally Undefined. Maybe the bass player hacked in and changed my links to the other songs to this song by Undefined. I will fix that now.

Actually I just felt more motivated this year and had the opportunity to hear more stuff.

Charles said...

I enjoy Bonnie "Prince" Billy. Unfortunately, I am unable to acquire his work through my Russian contacts. Fortunately, I am able to enjoy Vampire Weekend and even She and Him. You're right, they have that AM 1230 feel; that kind've nostalgic feeling that, after too much of it, makes you want to punch someone in a relaxed sort of way. Btw, my clock alarm-radio is still set to AM 1230.

Charles said...

One final note: I, for one, do give a f*#k about an oxford comma. But it is a great song.

J.B. said...

I feel the same when listening to She & Him. I almost break into the Three Amigos dance routine for "My Little Buttercup" during "This Is Not a Test," which leaves me feeling quite dirty.

You should pay full price for Bonnie "Prince" Billy; it's worth it.

Charles said...

Is that a mouth horn at 1:52 of This is Not a Test?

J.B. said...

I believe it is. Also, I find the term "mouth horn" to be disturbing.