Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Prayer of St. Ephraim of Syrian


O Lord and Master of my life!
Take from me the spirit of sloth, despair and lust of power and idle talk.
But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience and love to Thy Servant.
Yea, O Lord and King! Grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou unto ages of ages.


The Lenten prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian is based on the parable of the publican and the pharisee. The publican did not attempt to justify himself before God as did the Pharisee, but instead humbly cried, "God have mercy on me a sinner." This prayer is incorporated into many of the services of Great Lent and usually includes one or more full prostrations.

As we enter into Great Lent, please forgive me for how I may have offended you through my blog.

No comments: