Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Top 07 of 07

For a few years now I have made a practice of listing my favorite records of the past year. The list is ridiculously limited as it represents the majority of the new music that I have bought in the past year as well as being disturbingly indulgent of my wannabe rock critic/musician altar ego. What the world needs now is not another play list. If that introduction does not dissuade you from reading further (it has almost caused me to stop writing), I'm not sure what will. So, without further ado I present the Top 07 of 07 in no particular order.

Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
This album presents some really accessible and catchy rock n' roll without sacrificing the more abstract/experimental tunes the band is becoming increasingly known for. I'm not sure how "The Underdog" did in radio airplay, but it should have been a hit. And it was on the play list of the reception of my wedding, which surely counts for something.






Panda Bear, Person Pitch
I recently heard a quote in which a famous actor said of different directors, "the good ones borrow but the great ones steal." If that statement is true than Panda Bear is a genius. It would probably take a genius to make an homage to or emulate Brian Wilson all by oneself and Noah Lennox of Animal Collective pulls it off on Person Pitch. "Comfy in Nautica" and "Bros" are the standout tracks. Come to think of it, album closer "Ponytail" was also on the reception play list.




The White Stripes, Icky Thump

In what has been described as a return to the basics, Jack and Meg turn the collective amp back up to 11. "Rag and Bone" is a great tune and "A Martyr for my Love for You" is the song Soren Kierkegaard never got to sing. No, "St. Andrew (The Battle is in the Air)" was not on the reception play list.






James Blackshaw, The Cloud of Unknowing
An album of instrumental acoustic guitar music named after a classic book on Christian mysticism in the 14 century by an anonymous English monk. The contemplative music builds through slow repetition until the slightest change in chord structure carries maximum impact. I guess it's similar to techno in that way only with an acoustic 12-string guitar.






Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
I must admit, the more I listen to this album the more I dislike it. Maybe it's because of the cynical and idiotic things that Win Butler keeps saying. Maybe it's because of the underlying paranoia in the music. Whatever the reason, what I do enjoy about Neon Bible is that it is the sound of a band that is not afraid of or opposed to making a statement through big tunes, and even amongst the cynicism and paranoia, I can respect that.





The National, Boxer
The National write introspective mellow tunes that are deceptively anthemic. Because of Matt Beringer's deep baritone, Leonard Cohen comparisons are apt, but the musical influence here is much more 80s New Wave than kitsch Euro-pop. Matt Beringer also sings like a man who has his mouth full and is wary of opening his mouth too far for the fear of spraying food everywhere.





Radiohead, In Rainbows
Two things stand out to me about this album, a) Radiohead sounds like a band again, and b) Thom Yorke has a beautiful and otherworldly voice. "Reckoner" is one of the best songs this band has ever written. Simple guitar and piano hooks, a tight rhythm section and a falsetto sung in a way that only Yorke can sing it. As I said in another blog advising potential crooner's: don't attempt to sing/sound like this band, because you can't.





My apologies for the wacky formatting.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice top 7. Now, as usual, I will go listen to 5 of the albums that I have not had the privileged of hearing yet.

Charles said...

I'll listen too - you're one of my sources for music so these better not suck.

Liv said...

Because I have to listen to most of these records I will take this opportunity to list my opinions. In Rainbows is the best on the list followed closely behind Spoon. We play Spoon during parties because the record sends out such a happy energy. I'm not saying that the National suck, Chuck, however, I'm not a huge fan. I can barely tolerate his Morisseyness voice. They remind me of Interpol and I can't stand them for the same reason. Good times...

Charles said...

The word on the street here in Sac is that Olivia has an unfair bias towards Radiohead. Spoon sounds interesting though. But I'm even more interested in these parties you guys throw where Spoon is played. And will a cd produce the same "happy energy"?

Sarah said...

I would love it if you guys move at least one of your parties to Sac Town. We have free tire slashing, dumpster diving, and pot smoking 15 feet from our door.

Charles said...

Don't forget the 2:30 a.m. orgies downstairs. I'm liking Spoon . . . .

J.B. said...

Chuck - You obviously haven't listened to much vinyl to be asking that question. I would also keep a close eye on Dorothy so she doesn't get caught up in some of the seedy behavior in your neighborhood. Rumor has it however that she has already been involved in some dumpster diving.

Anonymous said...

Let me refer Sarah to this site, just in case:

http://freegan.info/

And J.B., don't forget the "little big boy":

http://watchfullove.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/natural-revelation/

Jacob B. said...

great review JB. Thanks for this gift. I will certainly follow up with some these for future discovery!

I followed Paul A's list last year, and landed on some GEMS! I am confident I will appreciate your taste!

BTW - Garland ruled. If only for a moment, fleeting but sure, behind a closed door, I felt you brother, even if I lagged behind the talent present in the room. And I look back fondly on it all, however small, insignificant, cliche and pathetic a college band experience can be.

J.B. said...

Yes, I had hopes that Garland would someday make a list such as this. As good as the "La La La" song was, it just wasn't in the cards for us, was it? Paul and I listened to a recording he has of the concert we did in the school cafeteria, and it was mighty, mighty painful listening. We literally had to force ourselves to get through the entire 15 minutes!

Paul said...

painful listening indeed!... jb our tastes swing as reflections to the other, when I was a hip "new" music buff you were stuck on dylan and etc.. now I'm having a hard time staying interested in new music and you've taken my spot as the pitchfork flunkie :)

speaking of sad, pathetic college bands, at 28 I find myself in college again... and in a band again... living in that infamous Spokane neighborhood affectionately referred to as Garland... yes, yes, good times.

J.B. said...

Yes, I can admit that I have now embraced Pitchfork. However, I would prefer to be "stuck" with any number of Dylan records than anything in the Top 07.

Paul said...

touche,

people who live on the left side of Washington and own macs and listen to dylan are my favorite kind of pitchfork flunkies... :)

Shelley said...

Uh....Falling out of touch with all my
friends are somewhere getting wasted,
hope they’re staying glued together,
I have arms for them....