Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dostoevsky

the moment you make yourself sincerely responsible for everything and everyone, you will see at once that it is really so, that it is you who are guilty on behalf of all and for all. -- Dostoevsky

I was reminded recently that in order to be convinced that evil exists in the world one only need commit themselves to obey the commandments of God, to pray, to be merciful, pure in heart, poor in spirit, peacemaking and love their enemies. When I attempt to humble myself before my brothers and sisters I need little convincing that evil is alive and well in the world both without, and even more disturbingly, very much alive and well within.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

word. You are not alone in this. I am so thankful that God is merciful to even help us realize our brokenness! Even better still is that he promises to lead us gently and firmly toward his perfection.

Unknown said...

i love reading your blog...you should write a book. call it awesomely convicting quotes by jb.